Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Feeding – bev’s on a rant

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 211 total)
  • Author

You know what I tried Honey on the prize choice meats when I was waiting for my freezer – she cant eat them makes her itch like crazy  ???

Liz the most important thing is your going to try and feed him the best you can now – so the other stuff its not the end of the world long as you dont keep feeding it  😉  :-*

kizkiznobite

ok p normally i say introduce – do a slowish change over – with bakers…. go for it – be prepared for a runny tum – the gut flora will be crap  🙂 no pun intended  😉

Prem2Pram

[quote author=Foxisle_crazy link=topic=3257.msg148273#msg148273 date=1180448172]
    Joe and Jacks has lots of sugar beet in it and what is poultry meat meal?  ???
    [/quote]

Poultry meat meal can be high quality human grade poultry meat or it could be low-grade meat and include crushed claws, beaks and feathers.

Chicken feathers contain approx 60% protein but are completely indigestible.
    (Remember undigested food has to leave the body and the more undigested food there is the more poop there will be for you to clean up)

I am just going to play devils advocate here and mention that although some dogs do have dietry special needs whether for health or breed reasons the generic dog is a scavenger and should be able to live quite happily on just about anything and I feel that sometimes a bit too much emphasis is given to diet whether raw and natural  or coloured and refined. And just what is natural for our dogs today anyway and what was, since they don’t run about as much as they would have done etc etc. 

Before changing the diet to solve all problems check out a good behavioral counsellor. Google APBC for one in your area. You never know there may be another reason.

Sorry to thro spanners. Tho I do recommed fish oils and a good mouthful of horse pooh.

All the best

Rosie Barclay BSc(Hons) MPhil CCAB    http://www.rosiebarclay.com

Anonymous

I think you will be a lone voice of this board because most of the dogs on here were eating any old crap bagged or boxed it was by coming on this board and talking with two old farts like Bev and myself that they found the wonderful world of additive free food, others can speak for there self on the condition of there dogs.

I would like to know how come the modern dog doesn’t run around as much as they used to, Mine do ever though I am that much older they still run as there parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents.

Most health problems are caused by food not behaviour but food can cause bad behaviour
    Val

[quote author=Rosie Barclay link=topic=3257.msg152650#msg152650 date=1182432326]
    I am just going to play devils advocate here and mention that although some dogs do have dietry special needs whether for health or breed reasons the generic dog is a scavenger and should be able to live quite happily on just about anything and I feel that sometimes a bit too much emphasis is given to diet whether raw and natural  or coloured and refined. And just what is natural for our dogs today anyway and what was, since they don’t run about as much as they would have done etc etc. 

Before changing the diet to solve all problems check out a good behavioral counsellor. Google APBC for one in your area. You never know there may be another reason.

Sorry to thro spanners. Tho I do recommed fish oils and a good mouthful of horse pooh.

All the best

Rosie Barclay BSc(Hons) MPhil CCAB    http://www.rosiebarclay.com
    [/quote]

Well said Val  😉

Rosie, thanks to Bev and Val’s advice my boy is now itchy scab free  😉

*Lassie*

NOT from horses round here that are wormed every month, I have a collie and all that chemical wormer may do her harm

And I totally disagree – my dog most definately couldnt eat just anything – and both our dogs look and feel so much better from a proper diet thats been looked into carefully.

And definately no horse poo for the dogs here either.

Anonymous

[quote author=Rosie Barclay link=topic=3257.msg152650#msg152650 date=1182432326]
    or coloured and refined

APBC for one in your area.

a good mouthful of horse pooh.

[/quote]

my older BC cant have colourings they send her totally hyper
    (on another note theres a BC i know and see very regularlly who is fed Bakers – yes there are some serious management issues BUT i can bet some of issues are related to the diet)

my local APBC trainer is a complete discrace – i wouldnt trust her with the dead tin foil barb (if you go through my old posts you will find out how much i hated the tin foil barb)

the vast majority of horse poo contains ivermectin – i have BC’s – neh a good combination

Anonymous

Could kill a couple of mine as well !!!!

the vast majority of horse poo contains ivermectin – i have BC’s – neh a good combination

*Nat*

I totally disagree too Rosie – Piper’s been on a natural diet for over 6 months now and the improvement in her skin/coat is immense – no way I’d go back to feeding crap in a bag!!!!!  🙂

merrow

ok im another one

when i rescued teddy he was a bag of bones who would itch him self raw and teeth dont even get me started  and and a imune system which would take so long to heal any thing he had a horrid smell to him and he had weepy eyes which also smelt

he was on backers crappy incomplete  :-X

and it took 3 months for the smell to go and it was a mingtastic sorta smell, it took about 6 months for his teeth to go from black to perly white and now has peachy good breath. hes ganed all the wait needed and now is an ideal tubby dog lol and now he heals from any thing within a matter of days now

i personaly feel there is nothing with my dog and that comercail pet foods are to blame all that sticks in my mind is the film when that bloke lives of Mc donadles for a month and well he didnt look very healthy after that so i think backers is the equvalant to eating Mc Donalds for dogs

Mudgie

You are what you eat  ;D  supersize me  >:(

My pooches very rarely have stomach upsets now and they enjoy natural home cooked and prepared diet better than any “convenience doggy food” –

Meat derivatives  >:(  Whoever thought that if it isnt good enough for humans feed it to the dogs need pts.  >:(

Horse poo –  >:(  

This is a wind up surely no-one of sane mind would suggest this stuff – go to a library and learn.  ::)

merrow

thats the one supersize me thats what i was thinkin of

and iv gotta say teddy will not eat kibble any more who ever makes it lol he knows whats best for him  ;D

kizkiznobite

i have very litle to add – all i have to say on food is in this thread and a few dozen others – but dogs will scavange if they are fed crap – dogs that are fed a good healthy breed diet for any length of time will become selective and will control their own diet and that in itself has benefits to the carers because then we can think ‘what’ something wrong here – and this week i have a good example of exactly that with beamish (see holiday thread)

breccy for beams was a sardine in oil with rice – on tuesday she didnt eat it – nor thursday – now – we talking a lab here – a hoover upper of food – mmm says mum – odd – ergo – change – ergo something wrong – ergo we watch closely – as said in other thread – renal failure – bright lass – loves the sardines but they have a natural salt content – hopefully we got there early enough – hopefully it was the medication for the arthritis and the warm mornings and too little fluid – but she did her bit by refusing her breccy

and please ….horse poo ….. are you being serious? do you say such to your clients?  i sincerely hope not

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime