Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Gypsies stealing dogs

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Gypsies stealing dogs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mr Monty

:help:

I dont know if there is anyone here from Surrey or the Camberley area.  My main reason for joining this forum is to warn people living here what has happened recently.  I always take my dogs over Barrossa fields in Camberley-I think it is army land, anyway-we have had great times over there, and many dog walkers use it.

I am currently looking after Lester, a golden retreiver 10 yrs old while relatives are on holiday for a few weeks.  So with the three dogs, I was over there-off the leads as usual to get some excercise. 

A middle aged man approached us and told me to put the dogs on the leads because there are gypsies around stealing pets.  I was horrified when he told me that they use the pets as bait meat for pit bulls-the pet gets torn apart for practice so tht the pit bull can increase its ferocity.  He said huge sums of money are at stake and they will snatch any dog they can.

One springer spaniel bitch is missing from this area already with £1000 reward.  I just feel sick that I cant take my dogs over there anymore.  He said if you see a dirty red van to call the police straight away….I saw one over there last week and now I am frightened to take my dogs out.

😮 oh my doG that is realy bad, i dont know how people can do that :'(

Sweetypye

First of all can we just get a few things clear? :order:

Lots of people steal dogs, it is not restricted to gypsies. :ok:

Secondly generally speaking most thefts are for ransom purposes, not to be torn apart as stooge dogs by pit bulls etc, although this does happen.

Thirdly theft occurs everywhere and the best prevention is control of your dogs, if your dogs are within controlling distance they cannot get stolen. :agree:

bisto

Crikes thats at the back of my Mums!!! thankyou for the warning xxx

Mr Monty

Hi, yes I agree it is not only gypsies that steal dogs-but the thieves that are here are gypsies because the police told me they are aware of them and to ring them straight away if you see the red van.

Also there is a picture in last weeks Camberley news of a little terrier that was abandoned with terrible facial injuries and they suspect this terrier to have been used for fighting.  There is an appeal out for his owners (if any) to come forward.  And so my original post was to say this IS happening here and the police are aware.

Sweetypye

I would hazard a guess that if a terrier was abandoned with terrible facial injuries that this was more likely to be the result of illegal badger baiting than dog fighting………..

Mr Monty

Possibly badger baiting, but in light of the vet saying that the dogs injuries are consistant with dogbites; and coupled with the current situation badger baiting is unlikely.

I am saying what I know in the hope that other dog owners will be aware of what is happening. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime