Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

He just wants to say Hi

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training He just wants to say Hi

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

A Large Stick ?

Whatever for?

And what would you need a large stick to train a dog for ?

You know a lot of the stuff you post is great if a little abrupt but  a large stick  >:(  charming – what positive training method does that fall into – and I dont mean positive in operant terms

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13525.msg258472#msg258472 date=1232731778]
    I have very low expectations of most owners and am rarely disappointed. That is why I make sure that I protect my dogs from situations which can get out of hand.

You have a flat coated retriever which has an entirely different outlook on life than a Weimaraner or a GSD; added to that if there was an issue it is always certain dogs that get blamed (see article) just for existing (eg it would be my GSD).

I am perfectly aware of the consequences of poor temperament and poor training that is why I spend a great deal of time ensuring that my dogs do not get hurt; this often entails me having to carry a large stick unfortunately as if the owners cannot or will not train their dogs, I often have to do it for them!
    [/quote]

😮  :nono:  >:(

Sweetypye

You know a lot of the stuff you post is great if a little abrupt but  a large stick    charming – what positive training method does that fall into – and I dont mean positive in operant terms

Amazing how people jump to conclusions isn’t it?  :agree:

I thought that with all your studying Mugie you would have come across this technique.

Let me explain.

It is MY job to protect my dogs from danger, threat, risk harm etc; I hope you would agree that this is the job of ALL owners.

One of the ways I protect my dogs from danger is to put them on the lead (this prevents them running into the road etc)

Another way I protect my dogs is to train them to follow life saving cues eg emergency recalls and downs (unfortunately as I have already indicated the vast majority of owners who I come across are unable to do this).

Another way I protect my dogs is to block access to them by other dogs who are not under control. If I have ONE dog I can do this effectively with my body, with two I find that I need an “aide” and a stick is very useful for this.

I hope this is an adequate explanation for the positive training methods it falls into and in actual fact it IS part of OC isn’t it.  😉

I also think that keeping my dogs safe is VERY charming.

ps if a dog wants to attack mine and my dogs are coming under serious threat then I have NO hesitation in giving the dog a nudge AND if necessary more in order to protect my dogs.

But perhaps you have much more effective methods at your disposal which you think are better employed, if so please share them.

For example, when two boxers came and attacked my dogs what would YOU do to EFFECTIVELY protect your dogs from harm.

I am always open to new techniques and methods from those much more educated and experienced than I in order improve my handling skills.  That is why I attend lots of training seminars run by those at the top of their game either nationally or internationally.

Thank you

Mudgie

Sure when I am as educated as you I will know  :educated:  However I won’t be using a large stick that is one thing I do know and have yet to come across that in any manual, book etc

Fortunately my dogs have never been attacked.  And I have yet to be on any course where the trainers held a stick in their “box of tricks”.

Sweetypye

You are indeed fortunate that your dogs have never been attacked.

The is a great example of the difference between theory and empirical knowledge; reading books and real life! 😉

When you have gained more skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience you will be better equipped for contingencies.

that is why it is so important to consider the source of advice;

No point in asking advice on what to do if your dog is attacked from someone who has never experienced this. 😉

It is good to know ones limits……..

*Lassie*

Sweetiepye we had a GSD come after our two, I put the dogs behind me. In fact Willow shot behind me and I had to tell Tam, we were lucky there was a wall behind us so it made it easier.
    But if we were in the open I couldn’t protect both dogs, I would use whatever I had to hand to safeguard them, if it happened to be a big stick so be it it’s up to the other owner to collect and control their dog

Sweetypye

Exactly.

deebee

am i right in thinking that the stick would be a visual block to the approaching dog that should make a barrier if neccessary then used for defense?

Sweetypye

Yes, I cannot put myself alone between one or more dogs and both of mine, so I use a body block and the stick is an extension of this.

For 99R% of dogs this is sufficient as most are just rude, but for the 1% that ARE aggressive and would bite my dogs, then I use the stick to prod them and on one or two occasions to  whack them when they have got hold of my dog(s).

ps it is amazing how upset some owners are when this happens, not half as upset as they would be had the tables been turned! :boooo:

If a dog attacked mine and i mean physically attacked and i was concerned for her safety i would have no hesitation in using whatever means necessary to get the dog off – that isnt about training, I have done my part in training my dog i cannot train other peoples dogs in the split second it can take for a dog to bite mine. Honey has enough common sense to get out the way, doesnt mean i would be quick enough to leash the dog if I had a leash on me – and if a dog is THAT out of control it is attacking mine then i will not hesitate to protect her with any means.I would see their dog dead before i would see my own dead.

im sorry but i have to agree with suz

I think there may have been some confusion about the stick  :agree: I originaly got the impression it was used for training purposes as this is how i read the post  ??? which in my opinion is totaly wrong and unessessary, however protecting my dogs in the event of a ‘real’ attack is a whole different story…. :agree:

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=13525.msg258472#msg258472 date=1232731778]
    if the owners cannot or will not train their dogs, I often have to do it for them!
    [/quote]

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13525.msg258957#msg258957 date=1233176498]
    im sorry but i have to agree with suz
    [/quote]

what you sorry for dont be sorry for having an opinion  :ok:

i was apolagizing because we dont recomend hitting an animal but like you said if it was a choice between stan and another dog i wouldnt hesitate in protecting stan by any means necesary 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime