Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Howling dog – any suggestions?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Howling dog – any suggestions?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nyssa

Our five year old Irish Red & White Setter has taken to howling early in the morning, only briefly, but it’s enough to wake us all up.  She sleeps in a sort of utility room off the hall.  We have tried letting her sleep in the lounge, but then she gets up as soon as it is light and starts pacing round the hall and the noise of her claws clicking on the wood floor wakes us up too.  There is no door between the hall and lounge, so we can’t shut her in.

The last few nights I have put her to bed in a crate in the utility room and covered it with a blanket to try and block out the light.  That worked for the first couple of nights, but this morning she howled at half past five.  Then she was quiet until I got up.

She used to howl when she was a puppy, and sometimes does it when I go out during the day.  It’s driving us nuts.  Any suggestions please?

:help:

Edited to add that she has always been quite highly strung and stressy.  I also have two red setters who are both so laid back they are almost horizontal.  One of them has to sleep in the lounge as she has epilepsy and we need to be able to hear if she has a fit.  It doesn’t seem to make any difference if the other one sleeps in the lounge or in the utility with the red & white.

chrissieish

Hey Nyssa,

not to be patronising, but is there anything se could be reacting to? ie something outside the house like a new fox in the neigborhood or a milk float doing the rounds? Have there been any other changes in her recently – healthwise for example? It sounds like maybe some change may have triggered the behaviour.
    does she stop if you go to her? is she trying to get to you? maybe try and wake up just before she wuld normally start and observe what’s happening.

Just some thoughts – good luck! x

Sweetypye

If she gets up as soon as it is light, why not prevent it getting light by using black out material to line your curtains or install blackout blinds?

lyechin2002

why not consider store she in the outside or toilet?  :nono:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime