Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Picking up the post!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Picking up the post!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

i must be on form… ;D think i just written a sticky  :canadian:

wags

i have to say thats one of the funniest things ive red for a while  :canadian:

yeah put it in the stickys.

No idea how you would sort it – neither of ours ever touch the post – part from Buster might pull it out the letter box onto the floor – Honey might drag it from floor to about two inches away give it a little shake – no harm done so………..half the time they dont even acknowledge the postmen – unless it a different one for some reason  ::)

*Lassie*

back to you lot…how can this be sorted.

could you teach the dog to come and find you or just bark when postie comes? and reward for that.
    Get a friend to play postie, but if you do that what happens when you aren’t there ???
    Sorry not sure am a bit braindead this morning :yes:

deebee

theres another part to this.why does the dog feel the need to go into full on protect mode?

mmm, but this only happens when owners out.

if it happened when they in, owner could ‘thank you , youve seen them off, but its no biggie’.

he needs to not feel responsible for defending the pack.

just some random thoughts, had a bad night last night so im tired (excuse no.47)

Anonymous

Could you mock up a post delivery to sort it  ???  (wheel something down path, someone wearing bright colours – post something thru door etc) while you say ‘leave it and reward for not ripping up post and being quiet etc?  :-\

then do it a few more times – eventually leaving the dog alone for mock up delivery?  ???

kizkiznobite

clue alert…. 🙂

back chaining

Anonymous

So you teach them to take the post in their mouth? reward for just holding it and then dropping it? Like teaching a retireve but using post instead of a ball or dummy?

Anonymous

Don’t think we are back chaining the pickin gup the post are we? Are we not trying to take away the need to rip it up and get it out of the den???

Anonymous

Yes… I was thinking you start by rewarding treating the post with care – and then work back to it appearing through the door  :-\  to be honest I can tell I am getting it wrong  ;D

Anonymous

Heehee!! Thats why I started this thread! In my innocence I thought if she could see the post as a good thing then she might like the postman too!! Or anyone that walks past!!!! I’m still none the wiser!

Anonymous

Seriously-I surrender :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Am I back chaining the picking up the post? I have returned home yet again to destroyed post…this time it is important stuff and she has also ripped up all the carpet by the front door. Is she bored? If I can do anything to stop this (apart from an external box etc) then please help! XX

deebee

you might perhaps get an external postbox in the meantime, but, depending on the situation (right outside the door so the postie still goes up to it for example), she might find something else to rip up when he comes.

it is escalating by the sound of it and no, shes not bored.

sorry i couldnt be more help.

Anonymous

Yeah-defo worse today than before. The cushions were all down off the sofas so she had done a wall of death around the room too! We did have a lot of post so maybe it was the quantity of the task in hand? I’m a bit wary about getting an external one-cos as you say she may find something else to take her frustration out on!

Vivian

Blimey just read all of this post and I havent a clue what you are all on about  :what: I need to read it again I think. Sorry Hil I havent any suggestions cos I havent a clue  :confused:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime