Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

snapping

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training snapping

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Hi
    maybe you could try using food rewards again? The snatching can be sorted out but for now maybe just chuck a bit on the floor for him to pick up rather than from your hand? (can always work on that later) I find food is a great insentive for most dogs, especially if you take him out with an empty tummy  😉

Anonymous

hi,

ok i am wondering if you allowing him to ‘see other dogs off’ has meant he’s moved this behaviour on to now see ALL dogs off – wherever they might be …. he’s a clever little monkie if i’m right !!

if he recalls with another dog about you want BIG BIG BIG rewards wooooh super clever boy play play pat stroke etc etc ……. you need to be the most exciting “object” he’s ever seen ever 🙂  and if he likes treats enough to snatch – take some black pudding cut up with you – not too small 1-2cm cubes would be fine and use this when he recalls the big ones – wave it about and then as he’s coming back to you say ‘good boy to come’ (or whatever you say) and make sure he sees you drop 1 piece at your feet when he eats that click + give him another treat for staying near you and so on and so on 🙂

snatching is another one to work on – bonnie would take your arm so again another one that can be done 🙂  just work round it for now, and work on it at home etc … up the criteria and remember if another dog is near he might still snatch as its competition in his eyes.  once you have his “best place to be” while other dogs are about then you can work on denying him treats until he takes them “nicely” (i have a nicely cue and if they go to snatch i close my hand and tough b*ggers no treats but in this case you want to be treating MEGA every good recall around dogs so drop the stuff on the floor (as long as other dog isnt too close obviously) – if they close and he’ll sit then close your hand round the treat till he looks like he’ll be nice – if you have a dog gate and just the end of his muzzle fits through this is how i taught bonnie because you can control the ‘take’ without getting bit !!!

CLaire x

p.s. if nutter dogs come bounding over then i wouldnt let him chase them off – let him play yeah, but if they annoying you and it happens often take a spare slip lead put stan in a sit/stay and take the dog back to owner and take deep breath 🙂

p.p.s. ooh look someone agrees wiv me !!!  🙂

that was what i thought and will happily admit it is my fault not stans 🙂 and yes he is very clever, he picks things up on the second try 😀 took me 10 mins to teach him to ‘roll over’ and ‘speak’ aswell as 5 mins for ‘play dead’ on cue

stan does do ‘gentle’ with treats, he has had to learn that because of my little neice and nephew, its just when he gets over excited but i will up the rewards to the highest praise. he does ‘catch’ treats so i could use that aswell

carefull with catch… encorages snapping/grabbing food from hands

.dodger.

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13408.msg257163#msg257163 date=1231523164]
    hi,
    if he recalls with another dog about you want BIG BIG BIG rewards wooooh super clever boy play play pat stroke etc etc ……. you need to be the most exciting “object” he’s ever seen ever 🙂

p.p.s. ooh look someone agrees wiv me !!!  🙂
    [/quote]

i agree with you Claire 😉 i struggled for most of dodger’s life to be the most important thing and could never be all exciting – even when i thought i was acting like a loon i wasn’t ::) but now i don’t give a stuff about what other people around me think and i’m more than happy to jump up and down, run in circles and basically act like an idiot for dodge. When i slink back into my normal walking he does what i ask but it always takes him longer to do it as if he’s thinking about whether or not to do it whereas when i’m crazy he does it straight away and always has the biggest wagging tail :yes:

i do no what you are going through kerrie as i started off with dodger having those problems 🙁 i really hope you get them sorted 🙂

Anonymous

Hi,

hehe Laura !! 

Kerrie – just take a big deep breath and repeat “i dont care if other people think i am a noodle” lol !! 🙂

Claire x

donna_hether

Sorry, im no longer on the isle of wight. Living back in greece with my 2 boys. Am trying to think of anyone i know that could help but not coming up with anything.

thankyou anyway ;D

i think im getting somewere ;D

yesterday morning i was out walking stan when a black lab apeared from around the bush (the bush was about 6foot away from stan and i was 6 foot from stan in other direction) stan imedietly went from play to dead stop, facing them, head low, tail straight, a typical ‘stay away’ posture. the other dog stop aswell but was in a ‘playfull’ stance. i tried a recall which was ignored so i moved round to were he would be able to see me (not getting any closer) then said ‘leave it’ in a deep obey me now type voice, the moment he looked at me i said ‘come’ and started flapping my arms, he then looked at the other dog for split second then lept away towards me and we had a hypo few mins 😀 PROGRESS i think ;D
    yesterday evening we went out again (at a time when i knew there would be other dogs about) down the park and started playing on a grassy patch, two jackrussels apeared from round a bush (4 foot away) in a hyperactive play play play type attitued, the owners promtly caught them and put them on lead, but stan gave them one glance but turned back to me at a single recall and we had another hypo few mins ;D he a very clever dog ;D

all i need now is a willing person, and dog, so that i can work on a closer procimity with him 🙂

am seeing trainer tomorrow.
    something he said on the phone however made go mmmmm :-\ he said that stan was acting like a stud dog and treating me like his bitch ( i know i am a b***h but still 😀 ) and that i should be setting bounderies in my flat or keep sending him out the room.

what do you lot think?

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13408.msg257710#msg257710 date=1231965405]
    am seeing trainer tomorrow.
    something he said on the phone however made go mmmmm :-\ he said that stan was acting like a stud dog and treating me like his bitch ( i know i am a b***h but still 😀 ) and that i should be setting bounderies in my flat or keep sending him out the room.

what do you lot think?
    [/quote]

Sorry, think he is talking out the hole in his a**** ::)
    Yes you have to set boundaries about what behaviour is acceptable and what is not, but Stan acting like a stud dog and you his bitch :-X :-X :-X 

i think the bounderies he ment was if i was in one room of the flat stan should be in another room, im realy worried now

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13408.msg257719#msg257719 date=1231965842]
    i think the bounderies he ment was if i was in one room of the flat stan should be in another room, im realy worried now
    [/quote]

That’s nuts ::)
    How can you interact or manage his behaviour if he is in another room?
    Does Stan worry if left on his own?
    Re read the stickys 😉

nope he just sits on my bed or the sofa and listens to the radio, hes brilliant when left on his own, sometimes will raid the bin (if ive put something yummy in there) but for the most hes good

which part of the sticlies should i look at?

*Lassie*
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime